Wandering the Marshall Islands

Some Scuttlebutt from the Marshall Islands







We have been out and about for the past 4 months visiting some of the atolls in the Marshall Islands, and I would highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for a good hurricane/cyclone hideout. 

Checking out the Likiup atoll.
The first place we all go is to Majuro, which is the check in port for yachts coming mostly from the south. But don't let yourself get stuck here, and miss the other atolls. I know how easy it is, there is a Tues. night yachties night out, and it seems hard to get away when Tues is coming up soon. Also shipping boat parts and even coffee in from the US is relatively cheap because of the US postal service here. So many distractions that keep us all tied to buoys.

But drop the buoy and go exploring. it is really worth it. The atolls are all really different. They have had a variety of influences. Woje and Maleolap in particular played a large part in the wars, so there are sunken ships and planes to be seen all over the place.
PS: please ignore the foggy photos, I didn't take my good camera and was using a bad phone. Sorry! But I really have trouble taking the camera in the dinghy, I'm afraid it will get dunked and woe is me. 

After checking thru my photos I realise it is impossible to put all the atolls into one blog post, it would read like a book, so I shall just put in some random photos, and then get a bit more specific in the future.
First let me say that we saw 6 atolls, and I think that Rongarik was our favourite. It was unpopulated, lots of islands close together to dinghy to, and lots of stuff to salvage on the beaches. 


Mommy Booby Bird was sure to keep her eyes on us, and somewhere I thought I had a photo of the first egg that hatched, but maybe not.



A bunch of kids paddled out to visit.  Note, they used flip-flops on their hands to paddle with. They were really cute, and we treated them to some popcorn.  Don't think they had seen much of that, some liked it, but a couple spit it out. Lol
 Shortly after the kids arrived another day, big brothers came out to guide them back because the wind had turned and the water was rough. Some attached themselves to the rescue boat, but others made their way back by themselves.  We were definitely watching.







































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diabetes, and What you Should Know