The Absolutely Best Fish Tacos in Baja

I just have to give you this recipe, it is terrific. There are some notes and adjustments from the original which comes from my favorite new cookbook "Cooking with Baja Magic Dos" by Ann Hazard. One of the greatest books on Mexican cooking as well as lots of notes on places and events etc.

Anyway, here goes:
  • 4 fillets of white fish, cut into strips about 1 inch wide
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of corn flake crumbs, or whatever crumbs you have, Lindsey left some cereal here and I just blended it up and made crumbs and it was great.
  • 1/2 C of Canola oil
  • 8 corn or flour tortillas ( I like flour, Gary likes corn)
Now here's where you can get creative:
  • 6 radishes
  • 1C of shredded cabbage, or lettuce
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro
  • 1 large tomato chopped with some onion
  • cheese of any kind you like, they say Jack cheese, I like cheddar
  • and of course salsa,and/or avocado, and a salad dressing, I mix ranch with cilantro dressing and some lime juice
Okay, I mix up the bread crumbs with some paprika or chili powder, some roasted garlic powder, some seasoning salt, and some curry powder. Mix well.
Then dredge each fish fillet in beaten egg, and coat with corn flake crumbs (or whatever).

In frying pan heat oil until a drop of water sizzles when dropped in the pan. Cook each fish fillet for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Place in oven on warm until you are ready to serve. (I miss that step because we just eat them)

In small bowls put the sauce, the tomatoes and onions cut up fine, the cucumbers, the cabbage, the avocado, etc.

Oh I forgot, put the tortillas on a paper plate with another paper plate on top, and stick them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Then let everyone, help themselves to whatever toppings they like, and you will have a feast.

I also serve cooked broccoli or beans or some such for my septuagenarian husband who doesn't have many teeth!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wandering the Marshall Islands

Shortfall on Pension Plans