The Painting Conundrum


Have you ever had a discussion in your marriage hang on for years and years, or is it only me.  This painting and sanding thing has always been one of those things.  49 years ago or so, I was painting the kitchen cupboards in a farm house we had bought, and of course had taken them off, removed all the hardware and sanded them --to my specks.---  Well Gary came home, and not good enough, he said.  So I sanded them again, and again, and finally just left the cupboards with no doors.  About a month later his mother came over one week, remember I was a fairly new bride, and really wasn't going to put up doors that my DH (dear husband) didn't approve of, anyway his mom came over and being of the old school thought my cupboards without doors was ridiculous.  So she said, just put some paint on them and be done with it.  Which we did.  They looked just fine, no one complained and if they did I could always say that I was following his moms advice.

Since then we have always referred to my painting as the down and dirty type.  When I painted our old fish packer, which I faithfully did every year, I would take all the leftover paint, or whatever was closest to add to the black, pour it into a 5 gallon bucket, stir like mad,  get the largest roller I could find, and in a few hours the boat would look nice and black again, (one year it even had a blue fleck in it, maybe I had mixed in some oil paint with the latex).  Gary says that I took the broom to the sides and wiped off the cobwebs, I wouldn't swear to that!  but it was a 100 year old wooden boat, and it looked nice.

Hustle now to today.  He is painting and sanding, and sanding and painting etc. etc. has put numbers of coats of paint on, and sanded them off.  I have lost track, he uses a little roller the size of my middle finger, and it looks like we will be here on the hard for a few more months.  He wants perfection.  I told him this morning, just give me a normal roller, a can of paint and in a few hours the boat will be done, and if you stand back about 20 feet it will look great.  Needless to say, I was banished to the camper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wandering the Marshall Islands

Shortfall on Pension Plans